Saturday, October 02, 2010

No One Really Wants to Hear About My Medical Records

...but I'm still going to report that in my check-up at the Travel Doctor required by Adventure Consultants if I want to join the expedition to Aconcagua, I had a resting pulse rate of 66 and blood pressure of 104/60. That pulse rate seemed low. "Your pulse rate goes down as you get older, right?" I asked the doctor. "Actually, it goes down as you get fitter", she corrected.

So, I must be doing something right. The only down side is that I managed to have a mild hangover today after just three beers last night (and not large ones either). It's a far cry from when we used to play for beer at His Lordships in Christchurch and over the course of the night it was a reasonable goal to work your way through ten jugs. I'm not sure how I would have gone at high altitudes in those days, though.

5 comments:

Susan said...

Well you can confirm this with your sisters but I think they would tell you the same thing - fitter=more effect from drinking way less

soph said...

I have zero tolerance for alcohol now. Also as you get older your ability to absorb B12 often drops (although not usually that significant until a bit older than we are). This also effects your ability to recover from alcohol. Me, terri and Cecilia are all total lightweights anyway

Cecilia said...

Ah yes, two glasses of wine is about my limit these days. Definitely better once you're in your 30s to be an alcohol lightweight with a lower resting pulse...btw, I can't resist boasting a little that mine was 53 last time I tested.

Simon Bidwell said...

Thanks for the comments. Actually, the alcohol thing has something to do with practice as well. My tolerance went back up quite a bit in Peru, which was important for participating fully in community activities. General fitness definitely took a hit -- although for about the first month back I kept being amazed about how much oxygen there was.

And Cecilia -- wow, 53. That must be all those marathons you've been doing -- clearly, I've still got room for improvement.

soph said...

My resting pulse is still really high, although no one has been able to take it recently as i never have any rest...
Some tolerance important. I can still get through staff drinks without having too many wines and baring my soul in the staffroom